Welfare societies in transition
Polanyi revisited through the lens of welfare state, social
democracy and solidarity economy
16 - 17 April 2018,
Roskilde University, Denmark
This third EMES Polanyi seminar will explore further how a renewed reconciliation between the redistributive capacity of the welfare state and the reciprocal and collective capacities of associative life may form a cornerstone in a new welfare society. It is an invitation to explore how a Polanyian framework may contribute to define a way forward for the welfare state in an international perspective.
The first two EMES Polanyi seminars were held in 2012 and 2016 at the Conservatoire des arts et metiers (CNAM) in Paris, bringing together renown scholars and a growing public interested in the Polanyian approach to political and economic sociology and related disciplines to discuss specific papers and Polanyi’s œvre overall in light of the current social situation.
The Polanyian analytical approach and the novel dimensions brought forward in his writings offer a way to enrich the debates around social and solidarity economy as well as social enterprise and social innovation against the ultimate background of democracy. A much needed different approach from the mainstream ones that originate in business and economics and reduce the space for additional approaches to be brought into the discussion. The contribution of Polanyi to the social sciences connects approaches on both sides of the Atlantic.
- October 31st, 2017. Launching of the call for papers
- November 29th, 2017. Opening of abstract submission
- February 29th, 2018. Abstract submission deadline
- March 15th, 2018. Notification of acceptance/rejection to authors
- March 15th, 2018. Conference registration opens
- April 9th, 2018. Deadline for seminar registration
- April 11th, 2018. Deadline for full paper submission
- April 16th, 2018. Beginning of the seminar
In partnership with